MASON, NETRALNEWS.COM – Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal is confirmed to be world number one without having to compete, as flamboyant tennis player Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Cincinnati Masters tournament.
Federer withdrew from the Cincinnati Masters at Lindner Family Tennis Center, Mason, Ohio, USA, on August 14-20, 2017, due to back injury.
The injury was obtained when Federer lost to Alexander Zverev in the Rogers Cup final on Sunday (13/08/2017). The world number three also had to rest this week.
Federer's withdrawal from the competition gave Nadal a way to return to becoming world number one. Nadal, who is now in second place, will oust Andy Murray from the top spot when the latest roster is released next week.
"Of course this is bad news for this event because Roger can not play, for me personally, coming back to that position is something special," Nadal said on ATP's official website.
Nadal actually had a chance to become world number one this week. The Spaniard had to reach the Rogers Cup semi-final, unfortunately he did not pass the third round after losing to Denis Shapovalov.
Nadal’s first taste of becoming world’s number one tennis players was on August 18, 2008 when he was only 22 years old. Since then, he has spent 141 weeks in the top spot, but he has not been in that position since July 2014.
"Things have happened since I was last in that position, injuries and some tough moments, of course, but I have maintained passion and love for this sport, and that's why I have a chance to get back into that position again," said Nadal .
Nadal has won four titles throughout 2017, all on clay. He became champion in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Madrid, and the French Open.