Sunday, 24 March 2019 | 20:05 WIB

Saudi Arabia Rejects Extradition of Suspected Khashoggi Murderers

Jamal Khashoggi (special)

JAKARTA, NNC - Saudi Arabia's foreign minister on Sunday (09/12) has refused to hand over the suspects in the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, despite Istanbul's chief prosecutor filing an order to arrest two former Saudi high officials.

Turkish officials last week said the prosecutor's office concluded "strong suspicion" that Saud al-Qahtani, chief aide to Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, and General Ahmed al-Asiri, who served as deputy chief of foreign communications, was involved in the planning and assassinating of Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul last October 2nd

"We will not give up our citizens," Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir said when asked about the arrest warrant.

He spoke at a press conference at the summit meeting of the Arabian Gulf in Riyadh.

Last month, the United States Department of Finance sentenced 17 Saudis, including Qahtani, but not Asiri, for their role in the murder of Khashoggi.

The Saudi prosecutor had previously said the order to repatriate Khashoggi came from Asiri, and that a travel ban was imposed on Qahtani.

Jubeir refused to confirm or deny whether they were currently detained, referring to the question to the Saudi prosecutor.